Applying for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationships visa (Subclass 461)

Applying for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa (Subclass 461)

You’re in a relationship and your partner is a New Zealand citizen who moved to Australia after 26 February 2001 or who is considering a move to Australia and you want to know what Australian visa you should apply for.


You need to apply for the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa (Subclass 461). You can apply for this visa in Australia if you already hold a valid visa which allows you to apply for another visa in Australia or from outside Australia.


Criteria to be met to successfully apply for a subclass 461 visa

You must be married to or in a de facto relationship of at least 6 months duration with your New Zealand citizen partner to be eligible for this visa.

Registering your relationship on an Australian State or Territory Government Relationship Register does not remove the need to have lived together for 6 months if you are in a de facto relationship.

If you are married there is no minimum timeframe for your relationship to meet the criteria for the subclass 461 visa.

Your relationship must be genuine and ongoing.


About the subclass 461 visa

The subclass 461 New Zealand Family Relationship visa is a temporary Australian visa for the spouses and children of New Zealand citizens who arrive in Australia after 26 February 2001.

It gives the holder full work and travel and study rights for 5 years from the date the visa is granted.

Subclass 461 visa holders must maintain adequate health insurance while holding the visa. This means private health insurance unless the hold a passport from a country with a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (United Kingdom), in which case they are entitled to Medicare.


Renewing your visa

Your visa can be renewed every 5 years, even if you are no longer in the relationship, so long as you are not in a new relationship.


Your partner arrived in Australia pre 26 February 2001

If your partner moved to Australia pre 26 February 2001 you will need to apply for either a subclass 820 Onshore Provisional Partner visa, if you are applying in Australia, or a subclass 309 Offshore Provisional Partner visa if you are applying from outside Australia.

461 Visa

461 Visa

Enquire Now
New Zealand Citizen

Be Protected by our No Visa, No Fee Guarantee


We’ve helped over 2,500 couples secure their life in Australia together. With one of the highest success rates in the industry, we are confident in our ability to get you a visa. In the unlikely instance that your visa application is rejected, clients who are eligible for our No Visa, No Fee Guarantee will be fully refunded the cost of our professional services. Our immigration lawyers are also able to help with refusal appeals.


Professional Services Designed to Minimise Stress and Guesswork


We are dedicated to providing our clients with outstanding visa application services but what sets us apart from other immigration service providers is our commitment to ensuring our clients have a positive application experience. Almost every member of the AHWC Immigration Law team has had a personal experience with Australia’s immigration system, so we know how stressful the application process can be. To ensure the application experience is as simple and stress free as possible, we ensure every application we work on is in a ‘decision ready’ state before it is submitted. We also regularly follow up with the Department of Home Affairs to track the progress of your application. We also provide our clients with ongoing support throughout the application process. Until your visa is granted, your dedicated migration agent is on hand to provide help and support.




Enquire Now Call 1300 887 818